Back Pain Treatment in Durham, NC
Whether you are sitting, lying down, standing, or walking, back pain can make life difficult. Dr. Palumbo at South Square Chiropractic treats a wide variety of health problems, including back pain. If you live in or Durham, contact our team today to schedule a consultation.
The Causes of Back Pain
Back pain can be caused by a variety of factors. We have gathered a few of the common causes that we run into:
Muscles and ligaments in the back can become strained in several ways. Lifting heavy objects the wrong way is a common culprit for back strain. Sudden and awkward movements, accidents, and any constant strain can injure your back as well.
Osteoarthritis often affects the lower back. Spinal stenosis is a condition where arthritis causes the space around the spinal cord to narrow. This narrowing can cause nerve compression and lead to back pain.
Osteoporosis is a condition in which the body loses or does not create enough bone, leaving the bones weak and porous. People with osteoporosis often experience fractures in the spine, causing a great degree of pain.
Ruptured or Bulging Discs
Spinal discs are cushions between the bones. Sometimes these discs rupture or bulge out. Although it does not always happen, these bulging or ruptured discs can create pressure on a nerve, causing intense pain.
Potential Risk Factors for Back Pain
Some of the risk factors for back pain include the following:
- Being overweight leads to extra stress on the back
- Arthritis, cancer, and other diseases may result in back pain
- Lifting with your back instead of your legs
- Smoking leads to decreased blood flow, more risk of osteoporosis, and herniated discs due to excess coughing
- Psychological problems, such as anxiety and depression
- Having a weak back and abdominal muscles due to a lack of exercise
- Age, pain often starts due to the wear and tear after age 30
Preventing Back Pain
There is always the potential for an accident that is out of your control. However, you can take a few steps to avoid back pain:
If you smoke, try to quit. Smoking can increase your risk for back pain along with a wide array of other health problems.
Any time you have to lift something, do so with your legs. Lifting with your back can easily cause injuries.
Exercise can help in numerous ways.
- Lose weight. Taking the extra stress off of your back can reduce your back pain.
- Build your muscles and strengthen your core. This supports your overall back health.
- You can stick with gentle exercises, such as walking, low-impact aerobics, and swimming. You may also choose to do weight exercises if you can lift them safely.
Treating Back Pain
Chiropractic care is an excellent option to find natural back pain relief. Dr. Palumbo at South Square Chiropractic will perform a thorough examination and create a treatment plan that is designed to provide pain relief and support the recovery process. Best of all, chiropractic care does not rely on pain medication or surgery to produce results.