Upper back pain is a common problem that many people experience at some point in their lives. While the cause of upper back pain can vary, we offer a wide range of natural and non-invasive treatment options at South Square Chiropractic in Durham for effective relief.
What Is Upper Back Pain?
The pain is usually localized to the upper back but extends into the neck and shoulders. The pain associated with the upper back can vary from an aching sensation to a sharp or burning pain. It may also worsen when lifting objects, sneezing, coughing, or even turning your head.
Causes of Upper Back Pain
Any number of factors may cause upper back pain. Muscular sprains and strains are the most common cause of upper back pain. Some of the other common causes include:
- Excessive weightlifting or heavy lifting
- Tension in shoulder, neck, or upper back muscles
- Poor posture when sitting at a desk or standing for long periods
- Sitting with a hunched posture
- Spinal stenosis
Symptoms of Upper Back Pain
Symptoms of upper back pain can vary depending on the cause. However, some of the most common symptoms include:
- Aching, throbbing, or sharp pain in the upper back or neck
- Pain that spreads from the upper back to the neck and shoulders
- Difficulty sitting, standing, lifting objects, or reaching behind your back
- Inability to rotate your neck
- Worsening of symptoms with sneezing, coughing, or turning your head
- Swelling of the arm
- Tingling or weakness in the arm
Diagnosing Upper Back Pain
Our chiropractor can diagnose upper back pain based on a complete medical history and physical examination. While no laboratory tests are necessary, our chiropractor may order x-rays to rule out any underlying conditions that may be causing your pain. Once we understand the root cause of your upper back pain, our chiropractor will create a personalized treatment plan for your unique needs.
Treating Upper Back Pain
There are several treatment options available for upper back pain. Some of the most common treatment options we offer for upper back pain include:
- Chiropractic adjustments
- Physical therapy
- Hot or cold therapy
- Exercise and stretching routines for the upper back, neck, and shoulders
- Massage therapy
- Spinal manipulation
Visit Us for Upper Back Pain Treatment from Our Chiropractor in Durham, NC
Don't let upper back pain keep you from living your life. We offer effective treatments at South Square Chiropractic in Durham to help you naturally recover. Contact us by calling us at (919) 490-5400 to schedule your first appointment or to talk to our team about the best treatment options for you. With the proper treatment, you can start feeling better and get back to living your best life.